Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Hedges and Fences

These hedges and fences were constructed after reading through the Warhammer Fantasy rulebook and seeing the linear obstacles rule. I figured it would be fun to have some of these in a game. They are basically difficult terrain that you can hide behind. Great for archers and handgunners. Click images for a larger view.

The hedges are made from Scotch-Brite scouring pads. The pads were simply cut with a scissor at a length of twice what I wanted the height of the hedge to be.

After the pads were cut I glued them in hald with white glue. I used a couple of clamps to hold the halves together while they dried.

While waiting for them to dry I made some bases. The bases are simply foamcore. The edges were cut at an angle to get rid of the sharp edges. Toothpicks were then driven into the top of the base. The base was then painted black.

Once the hedges were dry they were pressed down onto the toothpicks on the bases to hold them in place. They were fixed to the base with white glue.

The bases were finished with my favorite flock mix and the hedges were coated with course turf.

All in all they turned out OK, but the look sort of pathetic. I didn't need to use the scouring pads due to the heavy turf. I could've used blocks of foam and saved myself some cash. The course turf needs to be mixed with some other ground cover to give it some variance and a more natural look.

I had tried using the same ground cover on the hedge that I did on the base, but it looked stupid. All- in - all a great learning experience.

The fences are based the same as the hedges are. The fences themselves are constructed of craft sticks (toungue depressors.) I simply measured the height I wanted on the fences and broke the sticks at that length. The craft sticks were also split the long way to make the boards thinner and more man-sized looking. It gave them a hasty, unskilled contruction look.

I then layed out enough boards to cover the length I wanted the fence and then glued a piece of chopstick along the length to act as a rail. Two more chopstick pieces were added as posts. Once the setup was dry it was attached to the base with superglue. Once the glue was dry the fence rail and posts were whittled at with a razor blade to give them a rough look like the boards.

The fences were stained with a brown India Ink I recieved in a trade. It was very red once dried and I would never use it again. After the ink dried I drybrushed the fence from a dark brown to a light brown. The base was finished in my favorite ground cover mix.

I really like how the fences turned out. I would use a regular brown ink or even diluted brown paint next time to stain the fence, and maybe split more of the craft sticks to make the rail. the chopstick is too big.

No comments:

Post a Comment