Monday, December 28, 2009


I started off by cutting the bases out of corrugated cardboard. I then used tape to cover the edges and hide the corrugation.

I then decided on what I wanted on each of my minefields. I decided that my minefields would be sodded over with grass to better hide the mines. As far as details were concerned I decided to create the following 5 minefields:

The mines themselves were made by stacking 2 game chips on top of each other and using a round piece of sprue as the trigger. One company suggests using shields from their fantasy models, but these chips were smooth and about the same size at their shields, and a lot cheaper, too!

The blasted statue is a dollar-store figure I got in bulk on ebay. I just broke it apart with a pliers and glued it into place.

The fence was created by glueing down lengths of chopsticks for the posts, then using some wire fencing material for the fence.

After everything was glued into place, I used a watered down solution of PVA glue to stick some sand onto the minefields to represent areas where grass wasn't growing or had been blasted away. I just used a brush to apply the PVA to different areas, and sprinkled sand onto the glue.

I always let the glue dry BEFORE tapping the excess sand or flock off of a piece. It seems to let the sand/flock soak up more glue and covers better.

Once the sand was dry, the pieces were primed with a black undercoat. The mines and fences were drybrushed silver, the statue was drybrushed with a dark grey working into a white, and the fenceposts and exposed earth were drybrushed from a dark brown to a tan color.

After painting, a mix of PVA/water was brushed onto the minefield bases and then the bases were covered in flock, just like with the sand. In order to cover the mines well, two layers of flock were applied. Once the last layer of flock was dried, a final coat of PVA mix was applied to the minefields. This turned the flock rock-hard and keeps the flock from falling off during gameplay.

No comments:

Post a Comment